Monday, November 17, 2008

Bruschetta Chicken Tonight!

I decided to turn tonight's dinner for the guys into a blog. I first got this recipe off the WW message board. I bought all the ingredients including the box of Whole Wheat Stove Top where I realized the recipe is actually ON the box of stuffing! While this is not an original WW (or WW member) recipe, it still fits the bill for a low point dinner. The notes in parenthesis are mine. I have made this a number of times now and everyone really likes it, even my son who is not a fan of stuffing.

Bruschetta Chicken Bake (approx. 30 WW pts for the entire dish)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used basil & garlic flavored)
1 pkg Whole Wheat Stove Top Stuffing
2 cloves minced garlic (I use jarred crushed garlic, about 2 teaspoons. You could also use about 1 teaspoon garlic POWDER- do NOT use garlic SALT)
1 1/4 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (this worked out to 3 chicken breasts for me)
1 tsp dried basil
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (I use 2% version successfully)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes with their liquid in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 hot water and garlic; stir just until stuffing is moistened. Set aside.
Place chicken in a 9 X 13in pan. Sprinkle with basil and cheese. Top with prepared stuffing.
Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Makes 4-6 servings

Kristen's additional notes:

I am not sure why this is called "bruschetta" as the only similarities is that the flavors are both Italian in nature, and because stuffing is technically bread. A better name would be Chicken & Italian Stuffing. (Direct and to the point- lol)

I usually bake this in a smaller dish because 1 1/4 lbs chicken doesn't cover the bottom of the dish and the stuffing doesn't cover the chicken completely. 9X9 works well or a large pie dish. If you do use a smaller dish, be prepared to bake it a little longer. I just prefer it to be a layer of chicken with the stuffing on top. The recipe on the box will turn out more like the stuffing is between the pieces of chicken.

I also sprinkle a little salt over the chicken- not much- but it does seem to need it. I also add a sprinkling of the dried basil to the stuffing mix. Hey, I have the basil out anyway! The photo here is what it looks like if you follow the BOX DIRECTIONS (I used will power and did as it said on the box, but it was hard :) )

Add a vegetable and a salad and this is an easy week night meal I think you will enjoy!

No comments: